For some entirely predictable reason, most of what I saw this year was a look back at 2019 or a look ahead to 2020, so you'll see a real theme to these odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

• The Best Books of 2019: Debut Fiction—from CrimeReads, some of these look really good. I only read one of these, Magic for Liars, and while I wouldn't have put it on this list, it's worth your time. American Spy keeps popping up on my radar, not sure why I haven't tried it yet.

• The #damppebbles Top Ten (sort of!) of 2019—Second only to my whim, Emma's responsible for a lot of what I read last year, so it's not surprising that I think this is a great list. I've only read her top pick, but have heard nothing but raves about the rest. And her top pick? She's absolutely right.

• Book Stress—This post seems like a good thing to bear in mind after everything else I've posted so far. Also, I'm glad that The Read Writes link to his blog this week, if for no other reason than I love the blog design.

• Lost Hills by Lee Goldberg—a new series from Goldberg about a rookie homicide detective learning the job. It's waiting not-so patiently on my Kindle and I'm tempted to skip a couple of things so I can get to it faster.

• A Beginner's Guide to Free Fall by Andy Abramowitz—I've been waiting since 2015 for something new from Abramowitz, and this family drama looks like it'll be worth the wait.

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to Lou des Anges, Don Jimmy Reviews, and Žygimantas Krungolcas for following the blog this week. Don't be a stranger, and use that comment box, would you?

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2020/01/04/saturday-miscellany-1-5-20