No time for an intro this week—too much to read before Jan. 31 to bother rambling on. (mostly a joke).
Here are the odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:
- George RR Martin opens bookshop next to his cinema in Santa Fe—great, another distraction, just what he needs. That was too sarcastic, I think it's cool that he's doing it, and would absolutely love to check it out.
- These are the 10 best-selling books of the decade.—I've seen some people react to this like it's a sign of the Fall of American Culture (which actually ties into the Collins and Roth work), but outside of #s 1-3, I don't see this as too bad. (and have contributed to the success of four of these in my own, small, way)
- Speaking of Collins and Roth (and others listed above): The Decade in Young Adult Fiction: As a publishing phenomenon, YA literature entered the decade like a lion. Now it seems to be eating itself alive.
- Notes from the Winter Solstice Meeting—Rick Riordan gives hope to legions and legions of readers with this talk about a better adaptation of the Percy Jackson books. Also, just an entertainingly-written post.
- The Best Books of the 2010s—Several lists of goodness from the editors of Paste.
- Typically this time of year, I post links to various "Best Of" lists, and have done so a couple of times this year, but on the whole, I haven't been that inspired by/interested in those from the usual suspects. However, most book bloggers are putting out their lists now, and they're resonating more with me, so...let's look at a few of them, shall we? (not an exhaustive list, and one that we'll revisit soon)
- Best Books of 2019—from Books, Bones & Buffy
- What were my top crime reads of 2019?—from Crime Book Junkie (there'll be some good overlap between this list and mine when I get around to compiling it, I wager)
- Top Reads of 2019—from Fan Fi Addict's David W
- PaulsPicks Best Books of 2019 and PaulsPicks Best Graphic Novels of 2019—which also demonstrates that I've been putting an extra space in the blog name. Whoops.
- Best of the Best: My Favorite Books from 2019—from Witty & Sarcastic Book Club
- Under a Pile of Books' Episode 43 - SPECIAL EPISODE: Top Coverart of 2019—Calvin Parks attempts (and largely succeeds) to convey his favorite bits of cover art on an audio podcast. This is a heckuva feat.
Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to Mental Health •Lifestyle •Finance, Kelly Curtis, and brainyjaney (also, welcome to the weird world of book blogging) for following the blog this week. Don't be a stranger, and use that comment box, would you?