So I was awakened at shortly after 5 this morning with my wife telling me our 20-year-old had severe abdominal pains and needed to go to the ER, 11 hours later, we were home, one appendix lighter. 1. That's really incredible. 2. That's my best excuse for not getting this posted on time that I've ever had 3. I read more today than I typically do on a Saturday, so, that's a nice bonus.

I did manage to accumulate a few odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

• That Ain’t Witchcraft by Seanan McGuire -- The 8th InCryptid novel and the 3rd featuring Annie -- after the way the last one ended, I'm very eager (and a little apprehensive) to dive in.

• Another Kingdom by Andrew Klavan -- a screenwriter finds himself in a fantasy kingdom -- and in trouble. Then he finds himself back in L.A. And then back and forth. Something tells me that Klavan's approach to a portal fantasy ain't that typical.

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to TheArtOfLife for following the blog this week.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2019/03/09/saturday-miscellany-3-9-19