Busy, busy, busy week around here (here=main blog, not BookLikes)...not much time for grabbing links for this. And I'm so far behind on the blogs I follow that I don't want to think of it. Still, I've got a few odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

• Road to Publication -- Benedict Jacka gives an update on Fallen, the next Alex Verus book, and a few other things.

• On the Come Up by Angie Thomas -- the follow-up to something you probably heard of. The Hate U Give, about a sixteen-year-old would-be rapper. It looks promising -- I'm assured by my wife that it's almost as good as her previous. Works for me.

• Dead Is Beautiful by Jo Perry -- I'd hoped to be finished with this by now, but I'm only about one-third done. It's really, really good. It involves Charlie, his lousy brother, his brother's horrible wife, a protected tree and a protected owl. Oh, and another ghost that's mean to Rose. A whole lotta nastiness in this one, but the book itself is good.

• Killer Thriller by Lee Goldberg -- Ian Ludlow, the thriller writer whose plots became the inspiration for actual terror attacks is in Hong Kong doing research. But the Chinese government believes he's a spy working to thwart their plans. Hijinks ensue. Looking forward to this.

• Doctor Who: Scratchman by Tom Baker -- yes, Tom Baker. I'm guessing this adventure won't be focusing on Tennant's or Whittaker's Doctor (to pull 2 names at random out of the thirteen possible).

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to Kanwarpal Singh, sara, Tony H, Simon Veith and K. Alice Compeau for following the blog this week (some interesting links attached to those names...).

(from The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen