If there are problems with any of the links/etc in this post, I apologize. My 27 lb. Pug/Beagle mix decided to jump onto my lap while I was finishing this post -- I saved the laptop by milliseconds -- and I'm typing this with my laptop laying ridiculously high on my chest (my beard is covering the touchpad and space bar). Awkward to say the least.

What a week . . . Stan Lee's death -- while we've been aware it was coming some day -- shook me as much as it did other fans who appreciated his work (if not always his personal ethics) and his legacy. But the news of William Goldman's death yesterday? I was stunned -- which is strange, it's not like he'd produced anything lately that grabbed me, but between his movies (The Right Stuff in particular -- a fantastic adaptation) and his novels, he really affected the way Middle/High School me thought about the written word. The fact that the same mind produced The Princess Bride and Marathon Man/Brothers??? I think I was a sophomore when I read the latter two -- pretty much up to that point everyone I read wrote in the same genre, focusing on the same kind of stories. But Goldman permanently changed the way I thought about the range an author could have -- as well as trips to the dentist. One other note -- did you see this tweet from Jonny Geller about the opening to the Butch Cassidy screenplay? If not, give it a read -- that's writing. The idea that we don't have the man who can do that kind of writing in this world any more is tragic.

Anyway, I've got a good crop of odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to pinnaclemotivation, wittysarcasticbookclub, AlbertHolmes, and The Sunday Feeling for following the blog in some form this week.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2018/11/17/saturday-miscellany-11-17-18