It's the last week of the month (or it was...), plus the holiday -- which always makes for a short post for me. Still,there's some good stuff here (including, but not limited to, one that I forgot to post last week). Without further ado, odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

• Why crime fiction is booming -- There's a lot of good insight here, particularly this line: " Good crime fiction is necessarily a reader-centred experience, because it only works if the reader is willing to engage with it – other genres can see the author be (for want of a better word) pretentious, and focus on what they want to get out of it. In crime fiction, the author wants a reader to try and solve their crimes."
  • An Audio Addict's Guide to Audiobook Mysteries -- I haven't listened to any of these, but I've read some of the novels and agree with her take on them, and she's right about George Guidall (his Longmire work is great).
  • The Brothers Goldberg: Tod Goldberg interviews Lee Goldberg -- probably the best Lee Goldberg interview possible -- even if you're not a Goldberg reader, this is worth a read.
  • 10 Small Press Books to Read this Summer -- some good TBR fodder.
  • A facebook post from Jim Butcher -- in response to readers thanking him for saving their lives. Honestly, if I ever met the man, I'd be tempted to say something like that to him, too. This post was just great.

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to Eva Newermann for following the blog this week.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2018/06/02/saturday-miscellany-6-2-18