Life Begins When The Kids Leave Home And The Dog Dies  - Barb Taub

Barb Taub, a former Midwest newspaper columnist turned blogger, has released a collection of (I think) previously published and/or posted columns and blog posts around the family-related themes -- kids, relationships, life, travel, holidays, pets, and death.

You know how there are hard-boiled mysteries, noir mysteries and cozy mysteries? This feels like cozy humor. (I'm sure there are better designations/genre labels, but I don't know them). There's nothing offensive, nothing boundary pushing, nothing upsetting -- just amusing anecdotes, a slightly off-kilter look at life, and a way with words. Simple entertainment -- pretty much what you're looking for in a collection of humor, right?

I wouldn't recommend sitting down and reading this cover to cover. Sample from it, a little here and a little there over a few days. Taub has a couple of phrases that she really likes, anecdotes that she returns to often (for different ends sometimes) -- and I don't blame her for doing so, when it works, it works. But when you read them too close together, it takes a way from the moment. But that's a minor quibble.

This is a simple, straightforward, collection of amusing, occasionally heart-warming, pleasantly humorous pieces. I feel obligated to say something else about it, but I can't think of anything else to say. Taub's a funny woman, if you like reading funny things, you should read this book.

Disclaimer: I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest opinion and this post. I appreciate it, but this simple act didn't impact my opinion.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2018/05/04/life-begins-when-the-kids-leave-home-and-the-dog-dies-by-barb-taub-a-fun-humor-collection-looking-at-family-and-life