NYPD Red 2 (Unabridged) (2015-07-15) [Audio CD] - James Patterson

Yeah, I was underwhelmed by <b>NYPD Red</b>, but thought that maybe this series would pick up a little, with everything established in the first. Wow, was I wrong.

This is basically a <b>Dexter</b> retelling -- murderers who got off thanks to good lawyers, bad prosecutors, etc being kidnapped, tortured and killed. Before they're killed, they record a video confession to their crimes, which is uploaded to YouTube shortly after their body is discovered.

Of course, one of the victims is the campaign manager for a mayoral candidate, and the body is discovered 8 days before the election -- making the whole investigation a political issue in addition to a pressing crime. Given the prestige and notoriety of the latest victim, the case is bumped up to the NYPD Red team.

From there, it's pretty much a paint-by-numbers affair -- I called the whole thing, even the twists, early on. There's so little to commend in this book that I can't think of a positive way to finish this sentence.

I guess I understand why you'd have two narrators for the audiobook -- one for the first person detective narration, one for the other perspectives. But I think we're all smart enough to follow things with just one voice. Both narrators did a decent job, but nothing remarkable. They probably did the best they could with the flat prose and dull dialogue.

Dull, predictable plot with personal side-stories that made me like everyone less. Both authors are capable of such more -- I don't know why they aren't delivering with this series.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2016/10/14/nypd-red-2-audiobook-by-james-patterson-marshall-karp-edoardo-ballerini-jay-snyder