Odds 'n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You've probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:

• Literature vs. Genre - Seconds out (Part 1) -- Mike Carey -- a heckuva UF/Horror/Comic writer -- writes a pretty good piece on this recurring theme. I particularly appreciate the line (as apparently the editors did, as they used it as a pull quote), "One thing you tend to notice after a while, though: it’s almost never writers of genre fiction who are picking the fight." Killer last paragraph, too.

• Rick Riordan dropped some news last week.

This Week's New Releases I'm Excited About and/or You'll Probably See Here Soon:

• The Crossing by Michael Connelly -- I've tried really hard not to learn anything about this book featuring Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller, but what little has slipped past my defenses has: A. ruined a bit of The Burning Room, which I hope to get to next week; and B. whet my appetite for this one.

• Made to Kill by Adam Christopher -- I don't know if I can read this without constant comparisons to A. Lee Martinez's The Automatic Detective, but it'd probably be worth a shot.

• The Builders by Daniel Polansky -- Anthropomorphic animals in a dystopian-looking world. Myke Cole's blurb seals it for me: "Nobody does dark like Polansky. The Builders is Redwall meets Unforgiven, combining the endearing wit of Disney's Robin Hood with all the grit and violence of a spaghetti western."

• Black Wolves by Kate Elliott -- a fantasy world going through cultural/religious/etc. changes. She wrote a Big Idea on Whatever for this.

• Mystic by Jason Denzel -- a great-looking epic fantasy that's not that epic. There's a Big Idea for this, too.

Lastly, I'd like to say hi and welcome to Wizard for following the blog this week, and to Obsidian Blue and Marjorie for following the Booklikes version.

Source: http://irresponsiblereader.com/2015/11/07/saturday-miscellany-11715-2